Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Tuesday Pirates Rant - Best 5-16 Team in the League!


Before I get to the ranting, I'd like to point out that the Pirates are now 2-0 on Tuesdays after I lay the Rant Hammer down. And 3-16 in all other games. In other words, if they go to 3-0 in those circumstances tonight, I'll be writing a follow-up rant tomorrow to see if I can single-handedly lead the Bucs to their second (that's right, second) 2-game winning streak of the season. I do what I can.

So...the Pirates did something that is pretty hard to do this week...I can't actually prove that it's hard statistically, but it seems pretty damn weird. From Monday-Sunday, they went 1-5, scoring 17 runs. Twelve of those runs came in one game (not surprisingly, their one win). In other words, in their losses last week, they averaged 1.0 runs/game. Ouch. The pitching has started to come around, as only one starter (Paul Maholm) had a bad start. Even Ian Snell and his 9.00+ ERA had a good start Saturday night. Of course, the Pirates got shut out...by a guy in his third major-league start. And of course, Ollie Perez started this week off with a stinker.

The most depressing news of the last week has not been that the Pirates are in the middle of their second 5-game losing streak of the season (that's right...there have been more 5-game losing streaks than 2-game winning streaks)...it's that
they turned a $22 million profit last year. That's pathetic. I always believed that they were plugging their revenue-sharing funds back into their minor league system and their scouting, coaching, etc., efforts. Silly me. Instead, they (along with the Royals) were abusing and ruining the revenue-sharing system. Good luck getting that back on the Collective Bargaining Agreement next time...I'm sure Steinbrenner will let that happen. Way to go.

Other fun points of interest...

  • While the pitching has gotten much better (though that's not necessarily saying a lot), the Pirates have still managed to give up at least one run in the 1st inning in 13 of 21 games this season. The one time they scored first last week (Tuesday), they won.
  • Jason Bay is second in the majors in walks this season...meaning those great free agent signings (Jeromy Burnitz and Joe Randa...both hitting below .240) aren't exactly doing what they were supposedly brought to Pittsburgh to do: protect Bay. Who knew? I mean, who could have possibly predicted that two hitters in their mid- to late-30s would start to decline? Especially after their stellar numbers last season?
  • If you want a big, long, post about what adjustments the Pirates should be making, click here. I barely had the energy to read that post, much less think of creative ideas of my own. Of course, the best idea for improvement at the moment might be...I dunno...DON'T GIVE YOUR GENERAL MANAGER A CONTRACT EXTENSION FOR PUTTING THIS WASTE OF A TEAM TOGETHER.
  • And of course, just in case things weren't discouraging enough, the tease that is The Thought of Mark Cuban Buying the Pirates reared its ugly head again this morning in the Post-Gazette....

"I think one of the reasons McClatchy won't sell is, that if you can deal with the abuse that goes with losing, you can make $15 million or $20 million a year," he said on Patrick's show, mentioning figures that McClatchy has disputed as the Pirates' profit. "Would you put up with the abuse for $15 million or $20 million a year? ...

"Not me. Oh, no. I'd have to win. Winning vs. losing money, I'd take winning every time."

I need to talk about Pearl Jam or something again...this is just making me pissy.