Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Deep Thoughts While Stuck with Our Airlines

On a late flight last night, remembering why air travel has become my second least favorite thing to do, and thinking that James Howard Kuntsler's The Long Emergency might have some positive aspects. Mainly I was thinking that I was very glad that, years ago, we had put a lot of money we didn't have (and thus ended up borrowing roughly a new Mercedes, a very nice one, for The Boy's college) into the travel that we (mainly he and his mother) did when he was growing up. The price of fuel and the course of international relations will likely make such travel much rarer for the foreseeable future for most of us, and we would have missed out on memories and experiences that a Mercedes would not have made up (there goes my chance at being the car's spokesperson). And I felt badly for the young people and the old ones who won't have the same chances now, not for a while anyway. I know it's just other countries and peoples and ways of life, and why would we want to know about them anyway, but still . . . .

Just one of those things that crosses your mind if paying attention to the world as it is today.