Thursday, June 07, 2007

Channeling Molly Ivins...

...(via CorrenteWire) Nancy Greggs tells us why her God is way better than the Republican God.

It’s not that I don’t believe in God, my Republican friends. It is just that I don’t believe in your god, the one you have created in your own image and likeness.

...

My God expects me to be my brother’s keeper, to help the sick, the hungry, the friendless and the homeless. Your god only wants you to look out for yourself; he expects you to ignore anyone who is less fortunate, less monied, or anyone who worships him in a way different than your own.

My God values every life he has created equally, without regard to religion, country, or ethic origin. Your god only values American lives, Christian lives; all the rest are expendable.

My God is not a product to be sold to the highest bidder, nor a fictional character to be endowed with the characteristics I deem to be suited to my purpose. My enemies are not His enemies, to be exploited, maimed, orphaned or killed at my pleasure. My friends are not His friends because they belong to my church, my country club, my income bracket, my political party.

My God knows that I believe in Him. He needs no financial contribution to prove my faith, no political persuasion to prove my loyalty, no mouthing of words without a true appreciation of their meaning to demonstrate that I understand my obligations to my fellow man.
Yeah, nothing to add to that. Go read the whole thing.

Add to Technorati Favorites del.icio.us