Saturday, April 15, 2006

Don't Call Me Shirley

As the younger of the two male posters here, I figure I can probably be pretty naive about politics, et al, sometimes. This has been proven to me quite a bit, judging from the number of times I've said "Surely that won't happen," only to be proven wrong. However, going back to August '02 (or whenever the push for war started...April? 9/11?), I felt all along that the Iraq thing would happen. That always seemed far too realistic for me. Iran, on the other hand, just seems entirely unrealistic. You know...surely that won't happen. Surely Billmon's not right about how the newsmedia and public will just eat it up and be hypnotized by the night-vision bombings and the like.

It's at least mildly encouraging that the NY Times isn't lapping up the neocon version of the story a full 110%, and I definitely can't remember seeing columns calling Bush/Cheney/Rummy inept and insane 3-4 years ago, so for now I'm just going to close my eyes and cross my fingers and say that surely this isn't going to happen. La la la la la...