Thursday, January 18, 2007

My turn...

I'll make my random observations in bullet points!

  • Good luck to Jane at FDL. A while back, berlin niebuhr suggested that she should be the face of the liberal blogosphere. She's been an extremely impressive fighter for the lefty cause, and we wish her the best. Kudos to Digby, the best blogger around, for being a pal to Jane and FDL as well.
  • And speaking of Digby and Jane...who needs a cheap cure for cancer, anyway?
  • Greenwald covers the Abu "Stonewall" Gonzalez hearing. I too am "concerned" and "disturbed" by what I see. Ugh. And I don't know if I've mentioned this before (maybe once or twice, ahem), but that Russ Feingold...he's quite a guy.
  • I can't tell you how many hits we've gotten in the last three days simply because Ugly Betty won a Golden Globe. Don't know if that's impressive or depressing. Maybe depressive.
  • Meanwhile...the Pirates made a trade that I actually don't disagree with, and...honestly, my brain doesn't know how to deal with that. Does not compute. Granted, they had to give up one of the three good prospects in their system (and how in the hell, after almost 15 years of high draft picks, do you have one of the worst minor league systems in baseball? Just wondering), along with their closer, but they got the power-hitting lefty first baseman they coveted. I would have made this move too...something I haven't been able to say for quite a while.
  • And finally, I have this to say about The Office: I don't know if it's my favorite comedy on TV, but considering that it's the only show we make sure to watch every time on the day it airs (we DVR everything else and watch it whenever the moment strikes us), and we chose to watch it tonight over Scrubs, I'd say the odds are pretty good it's #1. Not all that great its first season, but some time last season it hit its stride, and at this point it has everything that Cheers had when it became the greatest sitcom ever (non-animated sitcom, anyway). It's got what seems like a decade-long will-they-won't-they love story (if it's still going this time next year, it's gone on too long...but it's not tired just yet), it's got an unbelievably funny supporting cast, any one of which can carry a running subplot with ease (granted, Ed Helms jumped the shark today, but I doubt he's sticking around too much longer), about 90% of each episode takes place in the place of business, and it continues to get better with every episode. And when a lot of our other favorite shows are either holding steady (Veronica Mars, My Name Is Earl), in a slight decline (Scrubs), or in a West Wing-esque freefall (The Butterfly's been very disappointed in Gilmore Girls this season), we are very pleased to have a show to look forward to this much. The only other show I get this anxious about watching each week is Real World-Road Rules Challenge. Just kidding. Sort of.