Sunday, November 05, 2006

Poor Sandra D...

As olvlzl at Echidne reports, poor Sandra Day O'Connor's retirement days are full of regret and disappointment in a certain 5-4 decision from a few years ago and the negative consequences it spawned.

No, not that 5-4 decision, but one that was bad in and of itself.

And on a note unrelated to any 5-4 decision, I got to meet Ms. O'Connor in DC once, and in the Supreme Court building, no less (I also met Bob Novak, Ralph Reed, and Jim Inhofe on that trip...maybe this trip is why I compulsively wash my hands). One of the sponsors of my trip had a briefcase with him...at one point, he opened it...she heard the clicks of the briefcase, thought it was a tape recorder, and absolutely flipped out. I mean, flipped out. The woman curses like a sailor. Just kidding. But no...she was finally satisfied that her awe-inspiring words weren't going to be bootlegged like a Dave Matthews Band concert and returned to her speech...but the room was just never the same. It shook everybody up pretty good.