Monday, February 26, 2007

Press Start to Begin This Surgery

In a recent study, it was found that playing video games could be beneficial to surgeons’ skills.

"Laparoscopy and related surgeries involve manipulating instruments through a small incision or body opening where the surgeon's movements are guided by watching a television screen.

Video game skills translated into higher scores on a day-and-half-long surgical skills test, and the correlation was much higher than the surgeon's length of training or prior experience in laparoscopic surgery, the study said."
I’m not sure if I want my doctor thinking about his combo moves from Mortal Kombat while he’s working on my innards, but it sounds like I enjoy the results. Maybe after spending a little more time with my PS2, I might just start checking out some med schools…