Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Lollapalooza 2007 (Day -1)

One day from departure, and the listening schedule is starting to take shape. Here are the Top Ten Most Anticipated Bands (by Me) for this weekend:

Honorable Mention:

* LCD Soundsystem (Friday, 7:30). Because they made Rolling Stone’s “Top 20 Live Acts” list a while back, and I know little about them (other than the “disco-punk” label). I might have to split time between them and Femi Kuti & The Positive Force, though.

* Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Saturday, 6:30). Because, like LCD Soundsystem, they made the list, and I kinda want to see why.

* Muse (Saturday, 8:30). Same as with LCD and Yeah Yeah Yeahs...though I might have to split between that and Interpol.

* G. Love & the Special Sauce (Friday, 5:30). Because he’s G. Love.

10. Tapes ‘n Tapes (Saturday, 1:30). Because I’m currently enjoying their 2006 release, The Loon (though I might split between them and Kevin Michael...I’m always a sucker for a guy with a ‘fro).

9. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists (Friday, 1:30). Because I was very impressed with their last album, Living with the Living, and they pack lots of variety into their songs.

8. The Polyphonic Spree (Friday, 2:30). Because they’re the only band in the Lolla lineup that could qualify both as a choir and a cult.

7. TV on the Radio (Sunday, 7:15). Because I want to see just how they manage to pull off their sound live.

6. Amy Winehouse (Sunday, 2:15). Because I want to see if she shows up.

5. The Hold Steady (Saturday, 5:30). Because there’s really no one else like them.

4. Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals (Friday, 8:30). Because I haven’t seen them perform in four years.

3. My Morning Jacket (Sunday, 6:15). Because they’re about two steps from becoming my favorite band.

2. The Roots (Saturday, 4:30). Because they’re simply one of the best live bands in the world.

1. Pearl Jam (Sunday, 8:00). Because they’re Pearl Jam, and somehow seeing them now is a bigger deal than seeing them 15 years ago.

And for fun, a Lolla-themed Random 10...

10. “Buckle”, Tapes ‘n Tapes
9. “Colleen”, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
8. “It’s the Sun” (live), The Polyphonic Spree
7. “Bomb Yourself”, TV on the Radio
6. “Some Unholy War”, Amy Winehouse
5. “Banging Camp”, The Hold Steady
4. “Whipping Boy”, Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
3. “Xmas Curtain” (live), My Morning Jacket
2. “Break You Off (Dub/Sound Check)”, The Roots
1. “Thumbing My Way” (live), Pearl Jam

Add to Technorati Favorites del.icio.us