Sunday, May 07, 2006

Blame the victim. And the jackal.

Two links I figured I'd share...I don't have much to say about either one of them (other than "yikes"), but I figured I'd pass them along...

First, from Lawyers, Guns and Money...Eugene Volokh thinks that sexual harassment/assault might be overblown because, well, what if the victim gets turned on?

So while I'm not positive, it seems to me that there's something interesting and possibly important in play here: Some conduct that involuntarily sexually arouses another (or seriously risks doing so) may be improper, even if similar conduct in which involuntary sexual arousal is absent is generally fine.
That's deep, man.

And truly, horribly creepy and frightening. For more, click here, among others.

Second, and only slightly less frightening (I think), is this (h/t daysbreak):
Purdum reports that Cheney travels with a chemical-biological suit at all times. When he gave his friend Robin West and his twin children a ride to the White House a couple of years ago, West commented on the fact that Cheney's motorcade varied its daily path. "And he said, 'Yeah, we take different routes so that "The Jackal" can't get me,'" West tells Purdum. "And then there was this big duffel bag in the middle of the backseat, and I said, 'What's that? It's not very roomy in here.' And [Cheney] said, 'No, because it's a chemical-biological suit,' and he looked at it and said, 'Robin, there's only one. You lose.'"
Um, yeah. I got nothing. I'm just glad the grown-ups are back in charge.