Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Something for everyone, sort of

For my first official post on Good Nonsense, I’d like to share an assignment that I received at work today. It’s nothing really political, but still something to think on. I was charged to create a list of 101 things everyone should do before they die. Sounding like a fairly simple task, I dove in. Little did I realize how challenging it would become. My first attempt developed into 101 things I want to do before I die. Then, it changed into 101 extreme things to do before you die. After that it started changing into a sort of 101 political statements and ways to change the world. So on and so forth for the next couple of hours. Multiple incarnations. Many different ideas. No clear solution in sight.

In the end, it ended up less as a mix and match from all the lists I created over the course of the day. However, it did get me thinking about a lot of things. What’s really important to me? What do I want to accomplish in life? Does it matter if I leave a lasting impression on society, or just in one person’s life? And these questions had to apply to everyone. Long story short, it was a interesting day of trying to decide on a list that everyone could agree on. Somehow, I’m thinking that I didn’t quite nail this one on the head.

You can check out the final list
here (it's a word document). Feel free to comment. And that my friends, is how I’m making my entrance into the blogsphere.