Saturday, May 05, 2007

2BR02B

I've been having a rough time lately. Death has been on my mind, usually pushed somewhere toward the back. Ever since Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. died, i guess i've just been pondering it. Now, normally i don't get wrapped up in famous people's deaths and all that, but KV was the first person to die of whom i could say i truly idolized. Others include Crazy Horse and Bruce Lee, but they were already dead before I was born. So, for me, this was the first Living Legend who is living no more.

This all happened around the time that i turned 30. I'm not one to fall victim to that "getting closer to death with every birthday" mentality. I still believe that turning 30 really doesn't mean much to me. It's pretty arbitrary as far as i can tell. What i think about is making an impact on the world. The people i idolize were uncompromising souls that made a lasting impact on the world. That's me, that's what i'm gonna do. And the sooner, the better.

So, it seems to have taken the death of my only Living Legend to remind me to stay on that course. To leave the world something worth remembering. Not for me, but for themselves.

If i were the tattoo type, i'd probably have these somewhere on my body:
"Hoka hey! Today is a good day to die!"
"No way as way. No limit as limit."
and, of course,
"So it goes..."