Monday, July 09, 2007

Music Bullets, 7-10-07

Greetings from lovely Bethesda, MD...was a lovely 100 degrees today, which is always nice combined with the car exhaust and humidity...I do miss DC nonetheless, though...

  • Rolling Stone has Ben Harper's new video online...it won't play for me, but maybe it'll play for you...

  • And speaking of Good Nonsense favorites, here's a Billboard Q&A with Dave Matthews...
    I think our first single was "What Would you Say," and we were doing a tour and had a show in Los Angeles. We played our set and pretty early on, that song was in there. When we played it the whole crowd left; it filed out. It was one of our first shows in Los Angeles, and we stopped playing that song completely. I don't think we played it for years after that. From then on when we'd go play in L.A., everyone would stay, thinking at some point we'd play the hit. And then we wouldn't, and they'd stay for the whole show anyway and hopefully we'd win at least some of them over.

    Sometimes I get frustrated by singles or songs that I'm not crazy about, for whatever reason. "American Baby," I was really reluctant [about]. It tested well with certain people, but part of me was reluctant to even put it on the record because unless you really listen to the lyrics it runs the risk of being misunderstood. And the song became such a big production that the smallness of the guitar and voice and the irony that was so thick in it, was lost. To me, that was one of those songs I didn't want to be a single and because I'm kind of easy to flip around, it ended up getting there anyway. I'm so grateful to be where I am, so when someone pushes me hard I say "OK, what the f*ck."
  • Largehearted boy has this week's interesting CD releases...am hoping M. Ward's release is available on emusic...this new computer will definitely be cutting my music-buying money over the next few months...


Add to Technorati Favorites del.icio.us